Blaze reportedly brought under control in less than 15 minutes
By Kathleen Brady Shea, Managing Editor, The Times
A one-alarm fire Monday morning displaced 11 residents, but no one was injured, said Coatesville Acting Fire Chief Jim Lentz.
Lentz said smoke detectors alerted the occupants who had safely exited the residence in the unit block of Chestnut Street on the city’s East side at 11:01 a.m. He said firefighters arrived within three minutes to find flames and smoke emanating from the second-floor windows of an occupied twin.
“There is no doubt that this expeditious response averted tragedy,” said Lentz. “The firefighters had water on the fire moments after their arrival, stopping the fire from spreading to the attached, occupied dwelling.”
The blaze, which is believed to be accidental and electrical, was brought under control in less than 15 minutes, Lentz said. He said units from the VA, Thorndale, East Brandywine, Minquas and Alert of Downingtown, Sadsburyville, Modena Ambulance, and a Medic from Brandywine all assisted. The Pomeroy Fire Company covered the city while the city’s units were occupied with the blaze.
The Red Cross is assisting six adults and five children, Lentz said.
“The city’s firefighters, along with our mutual aid companies, did an outstanding job, and we appreciate their continued support,” Lentz said. He added that smoke detectors are available to residents free of charge and will be installed by firefighters. Call 610-384-0300, ext. 3111, to make arrangements.